I made jam this week and the aroma that filled our house as it was cooking was amazing.
I visited my Aunty over Easter and she had the most enormous fig tree in her back garden, there were ripe and juicy figs dropping to the ground.
They were too ripe to just eat but perfect for jam.
I've been enjoying it on toast with ricotta cheese. It is beautiful, it looks like liquid amber and tastes divine.
Fig and Ginger Citrus Jam Recipe
Makes approx 4 cups of jam
3 cups of quartered and skinned fresh figs (about 12 large figs)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 orange, quartered, peeled and cut into thin pieces.
lemon zest from one lemon
1 lemon, quartered, peeled and cut into thin pieces
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons of chopped crystallised ginger
Directions:* Grate the lemon for it's zest before you chop it up.
* Combine all the ingredients together in a slow cooker and stir.
* Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
* Remove the lid, remove the cinnamon stick, and change the cooking temperature to HIGH. Continue cooking on HIGH with the lid off for 2 - 3 hours until the jam reaches a desired consistency.
* Ladle the jam into clean jam jars. Let stand until cool.
* Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.